About Me

I am a third year student at Sussex University studying Multimedia and Digital Systems. This blog is for my final year project which is to create an online 3D showroom for a car manufacturer. I will be updating it regularily with what Im doing on the project.

Tuesday, 9 November 2010

Change of Software + Objectives

After speaking to Martin White, who runs the course 3D Web Applications, I have decided to abandon the use of WireFusion.

Instead, he suggested the use of the AutoDesk Education Suite, found here.

This software contains AutoDesk Maya which exports to X3D - a web 3D programming language. This is then translated to VRML (another similar language, translated using the many translators available) which is then input into the Cortona3D player, found here. This player is then put into my website that I will still make in Dreamweaver CS5.

I have decided that I will plan my project so that I begin the process of exporting my 3D to the web as I am doing the 3D web applications course next term. If I run the two in parrallel both it will save valuable time and also make things alot easier for me as I will have direction from the course tutors.

Secondly, Martin made the point that my project and the module, 3D for web applications, are both quite similar, but my project is worth 4 times as many credits, therefore there must be substantial differences in quality. Below are the suggestions he made as to what these differences could be -

  1. More substantial 3D modelling, both is quantity and quality
  2. More substantial rendering and illumination models, though you need to realise that 3D game engines will dictate their illumination model and local illumination is only possible in X3D/VRML.  However, some very good 'faking' techniques can be applied.
    1. You can still use global illumination model, such as those used on Mental Ray (supplied with 3ds max) but you would be then using the render images as photographs  for your web site
  3. Other technical solutions, e.g. dynamic versus static web site
  4. Database considerations: XML stack versus say PhP, mySQL, etc.
  5. Flash
  6. Communication mechanisms between the 3D scene and model.  How do you get the 3D in the 3D player embedded on the web site to communicate with the web site and vice versa, example.  Database changes to cost of a car, how does this price increase or decrease get communicated to the pricing details stuck on the car windscreen in the 3D model?
 The point that interests me the most is point 6 and I feel there is alot of possibility here. Being honest, some of the points, such as points 2 and 3, are slightly bewildering and I must begin researching as soon as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment